Kiddo Approved Collagen Krispies!
Since getting healthy, desserts are not part of my daily jam.
Most days I’d rather have a few extra ounces of delicious fatty brisket over chocolate. HOWEVER, I’m an Aunt to 4 beautiful nieces, 2 of them still nugget sized, and sometimes they ask for sweet treats. My sister is one of the BEST at balancing little indulgences with nutrient-rich foods. She, like most parents wants happiness, safety and of course, health for her tribe.
CB Supplements makes it their mission to help parents achieve one of these wants for their children in particular — health. Kids are at a crucial stage of life where their bodies use the nutrients from food consumed to build strong bones and joints, and support fully-functioning internal organs like the intestines, heart and lungs.
Unfortunately, most kids lack the resources necessary to even access collagen rich foods or are not comfortable eating large amounts of animal protein including the connective tissue and organs like the liver, kidneys or bones (to make broth). (I mean, that’s the same for most adults too right?)
Due to this culture shift in dietary preferences, a potential repercussion might be weaker bones in our kids, which can have a devastating impact on childhood play and activities. CB Supplements Collagen protein powder gives your kids bone strengthening, joint-supporting nourishment that can help them grow strong and limber.”
And to honor my sisters efforts of growing her nuggets strong and healthy, I thought I’d try my hand at some ‘healthier’ more macro-rich version of one of the Klassic Kiddo favorites, Rice Krispie Treats.
I took at look at a few great alternative recipes while they each looked AMAZING, I could see a few ways I might be able to modify the ingredients to lower the sugar and carbs a little more while maintaining the integrity of the flavor and still make them power packed with gut-nurturing Protein and Collagen!
Try it out and let us know how your ‘LITTLES’ like them! (especially pictures of them devouring them if you gottem!)
- ⅓ cup CB Supplements Multi-Collagen Protein Powder
- ¾ – 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter (no sugar added*)
- ⅓ Cup Granular Swerve (or other alternative herb-based sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- Pink Himalayan Salt to top
- Line an 8 in square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place peanut butter (or alternative), coconut oil, maple syrup, Swerve, and vanilla extract into a medium heated pan. Mix continuously until smooth and well combined, (mixture will start to caramelize within 1-2 minutes)
- Add in Collagen Powder 1-2 Tbsp at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Remove from heat, Stir in Rice Cereal.
- One mixed, immediately pour into prepared pan. Using a spatula, press and smooth into an even, very tightly packed layer.
- Chill in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Cut into 16 Bars (seriously take my advice, and do this quickly so you don’t make this just 4 BIG servings) sprinkle with a little Salt.
- Enjoy the peaceful easy feeling that you’ve made something nutritious and delicious for your family!
- Most Peanut Butters add unnecessary sugar and oils to make it more appealing to the palate. So, you want to read the labels and be sure to only purchase Natural Peanut Butter. Smuckers has a great low-cost option. Stay away from ‘no-stir’ labels, as they indicate unnecessary and harmful additives to keep the butter and the oils from doing what they do naturally, separate.
- If Peanut allergies are a problem, no worries! You can swap out the Natural Peanut Butter for your favorite alternative butter spreads like, Nuttzo Peanut-Free Seed-Powered Fuel, Almond Butter or Sunflower Butter.
- If you choose an alternative to peanut butter, you may need to add 1-2 Tablespoons of additional Coconut Oil to ensure a smooth consistency.