Chill the NUTZ out with Collagen NUT BUTTER!
I’ve been having trouble sleeping recently and its really been throwing me off my game.
Have you ever had killer day nutritionally, had a GREAT workout, and then for w.h.a.t.e.v.e.r. reason you end up tossing and turning all night long and wake up feeling groggy and craving sugar, fats, and carbs?
There’s a reason for that!
Fitness Expert, Theresa Brawner of Radio MD states:
When you don’t sleep long enough (more than 5-6 hours/night), any effort you put into staying in shape will give you about a half of results you expect; mostly because of the hormones that are going haywire and impacting your metabolism.Theresa Brawner
(come ON now son! insert ‘mind-blown’ emoji here).
Theresa goes on to say:
The troublemakers here are the hormones ghrelin and leptin, which are in charge of your appetite. When you’re sleep deprived, ghrelin is on the loose, which means that your appetite will only grow. Satisfaction that comes from eating will decrease, and you will constantly want to eat more. BUT, if you have sleeping patterns that work for you and you rest enough, leptin, the appetite-suppressing hormone will work on your side. You will eat fewer calories, be more motivated to work out, and in general, you will feel better about yourself.
Okay. Awesome. But what can I do about it!?
Well I’ve been doing a little digging and it turns out that my sleepless nights might be improved by increasing my intake of the amino acid Glycine.
According to The Sleep Doctor, Dr. Michael Breus:
Glycine (a neurotransmitter) both stimulates and inhibits cells in the brain and central nervous system, affecting sleep, cognition, mood, appetite and digestion, immune function, and pain perception…glycine helps the body make serotonin, a hormone and neurotransmitter that has significant effects on sleep and mood.Dr. Michael Breus
And you know where Glycine can be found? You guessed it — CB Supplements multi-collagen! One of the awesome and abundant amino acids in collagen peptides is glycine (see benefits of collagen).
So here’s a fun new way to incorporate Collagen into you or your family’s weekly plan!
Note: your kids will love this nut butter! More info around kids + collagen here:
- ¼ cup Peanut, Almond, Hazelnut, or other Seed Butter (I like crunchy, but everyone is different. Just look for just ‘roasted nuts (more flavor), salt and maybe palm oil, but the purer the better)
- 2 scoops CB Supplements Grass Fed Multi Collagen Powder
- 3-4 Teaspoons Coconut oil Use as much as needed to get desired consistency
- *OPTIONAL ADD INS – tsp Sea Salt, Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips, a few drops of Stevia
- In a small ramekin or mixing bowl, mix ingredients above until nut butter is smooth. Add coconut oil 1 tsp at a time until desired texture is achieved .
- For a higher carb/fiber post-workout meal, add to sliced apples OR a piece of sprouted toast with 2 sliced strawberries for a modified open faced PB&J !