Easy Chicken Salad (with collagen!)
Chicken Salad: a great, easy weeknight (or lunch!) option that doesn’t break the bank in time or health goals!
It’s easy, it’s familiar, it’s awesome at a family picnic, and a crowd favorite at deli’s across America. But, it could use a little boost of collagen to make it a great post-workout recovery full of aminos and fuel!
And dah dah dahhhhhhnnnn, when made with traditional mayo it’s full of toxic oils like canola and vegetable. Those suckers are full of things that eat your brain! Like, no joke, eat yo BRAIN! Gross.
According to Chapter 8 in Dr. Cate Shanahan’s book Deep Nutrition:
Vegetable oils attack the brain at 7 distinct vulnerability points, one of which is your nerve cellular architecture: they cause and overload of oxidative reactions inside the cell leading to the accumulation of intra-cellular trash.
Think of an apple turning brown when exposed to the air (aka oxidative reactions can turn your brain into bunch of bad apples).
She goes on to say:
When this affects our white matter, we lose our mobility. When it affects our gray matter, we lose our personalities, and our connections to the world.
No buenos right?! Okay but, what’s a guy or gal to do?
Start with some simple recipe swaps like this one for a modified Chicken Salad! Swap out Traditional Mayo for Full-Fat Greek Yogurt OR try an ‘good oil’ alternative Mayo, like Avocado Oil or Coconut Oil Mayo.
Note: just be sure to read the labels. A lot of companies say its “Olive Oil Mayo” or “Avocado Oil Mayo” when the first ingredient is Canola or Veggie Oil. No stress though! Just find one you like and take the leap into a healthier happier you, your spouse, and your kiddos.
I made this SUPER EASY chicken salad with rotisserie chicken I had left over in my fridge (straight up y’all), and full-fat greek yogurt with CB Supplements Collagen Powder and some yummy seasonings.
Skip the Carbs!
Another great way to cut down on the unhealthy aspects of chicken salad is to skip the carbs by serving it in:
- lettuce wrap
- bell pepper wedge
- zucchini slices
- 12 oz Chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 2 scoops CB Supplements Unflavored & Colorless Multi Collagen Powder
- 2-3 tbsp FULL FAT Grass-fed Greek yogurt (I used Nancy’s) or Coconut Oil Mayo (I think this is closer to the real thing) or Avocado Oil Mayo (has a little aftertaste that’s not bad, just different)
- ¼ cup celery stalk, diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ Granny Smith Apple diced
- ¼-½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne powder
- Apple Alternative: 2-3 thinly sliced radishes for a low-glycemic crunch
- 1 cup Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Zucchini Slices
- Butter Lettuce Leaves (for a “wrap” option)
- Or low-carb spinach wrap for a traditional wrap option
- Remove skin from rotisserie chicken and cut into small pieces, and add to medium bowl
- Combine collagen, yogurt, and lemon juice in a small bowl
- Combine chicken, collagen/yogurt mixture, then fold in celery, onion, apple (or radish) and nuts
- Add s&p and garlic powder to taste
- Serve on desired veggie or wrap
- Calories: 239
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 7.8g
- Carbs: 5.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Net Carbs: 4.2g
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Don’t discard the chicken carcass once you’ve taken the meat off the bones! Try making nutrient rich-brain-building homemade collagen bone broth soup with it.