You can have your Mongolian Beef and your abs too!
Health doesn’t have to be boring and it certainly doesn’t have to be tasteless!
I LOVE and I mean I LURRRVVVVV the challenge of taking a traditionally nutrient deficient recipe like Mongolian Beef and Broccoli and making it something that will make my brain and body feel GOOOODDDDDD!!!
This Chinese Takeout Favorite is normally loaded with lots of toxic oils and sugar. So I simply used a pure Avocado Oil, Swerve (a sugar alternative), skipped unnecessary starchy carbs and added extra protein by using collagen as a coating for my broccoli and a thickener for my Sauce!
Take a look at how these changes amped up the nutritional profile of this Friday Night Favorite!
Nutrition for PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef BEFORE adding the rice:
- 770 Calories
- 42g Healthy Fat
- 59g Protein
- 32g Sugar
- 38g Net Carbs
- 1g Fiber
stats from CalorieKing.com
After a few modifications, here is the new nutritional profile of this dish:
- 350 Calories
- 13g Healthy Fat
- 53g Protein
- 5g Sugar
- 10g Net Carbs (mostly from Broccoli)
- 5g Fiber
Oh, and you’re getting all the wonderful benefits of collagen too. 🙂
stats from Cronometer.com
For the Broccoli
- ½ Tbsp garlic & onion powders & Red Pepper Flakes
- 1-2 Scoops CB Supplements Grass Fed Multi Collagen Protein Powder
- 4 cups small broccoli florets chopped into small pieces (the smaller tastier)
- 1 tsp-1Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
For the beef
- 1 tbsp extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 3/4 lb flank steak sliced into 1/4 inch strips or cubed (be sure to slice against the grain)
- 1/2 -1 cup beef BONE broth
- 3-4 scoops CB Supplements Collagen Powder diluted in water (divided)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flake
- 10 tbsp sweetener e.g. liquid or powdered (5 packets) stevia or swerve
- Extra Pink Himalayan Salt to Taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, fill ziploc with garlic, onion, red pepper, collagen, add broccoli, seal and shake.
- Pour out broccoli onto a Parchment-lined baking sheet broccoli. Drizzle EVOO.
- Place in put in over for 12-18 minutes
- Dust 1 Tbsp beef in a large bowl with Collagen until well-coated. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes or until hot.
- Add sliced beef and cook until it browns, less than 5 minutes, stirring frequently, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add beef broth and all all remaining ingredients in a saucepan, and let simmer/reduce for about 2 min (if you add the beef too soon, it will over cook and become tough)
- Add beef, toss for about 2 min. Remove Broccoli from oven and add to pan and toss until coated. Season with a little more Salt and Red
- Pepper flakes to taste.