Matcha, Matcha, Matcha
The last few years I’ve felt like I’ve been on the sidelines like a real ‘Jan’ as I’ve heard more and more about Matcha, Matcha, Matcha.
I decided to investigate what all the hype was about. So, I started poking around local coffee shops and tea houses, talking to baristas, trying to get some inside info on the stuff. What I found is that Matcha is pretty popular (I know, duh).
According to Matcha Source it’s got a reputation for being packed with antioxidants:
Antioxidants are compounds that inhibit oxidation. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that can produce free radicals, thereby leading to chain reactions that may damage the cells of organisms. Wikipedia
Basically, antioxidants prevent the damage of your cells, can boost your metabolism and burn calories (glory be!), detoxes naturally, calms and relaxes the body, enhances mood and aids in concentration. That sound like something this 43 year old gal could be into!
But as I spoke with many of the craftsmen/women of some local and chain coffee spots, they ALL said their Matcha comes ‘pre-mixed’ with sugar…and not just a little sugar….like, a crap-ton. For instance, Starbucks’s Matcha has 30g of sugar in a Grande and 43g in the Venti!
Just to put that in perspective, the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends no more than ‘25g of sugar a DAY for women and 37.5g for men’.
According to WebMd:
When you eat excess sugar, the extra insulin in your bloodstream can affect your arteries, part of your body’s circulatory system. It causes their walls to grow faster than normal and get tense, which adds stress to your heart and damages it over time. This can lead to heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes.
After learning of its healing benefits, and wanting to try out new a way to incorporate more CB Supplements Collagen in my daily routine, I decided to try my hand at making it at home.
There are lots of youtube videos on how to properly steep/whisk/etc… and while I love a well crafted beverage, this girl’s got stuff to do.
So, here is my take on a quick, keto/paleo/whole30/WW/5:1 friendly Collagen Matcha Latte that’s sure to warm your belly, aid in the health of your hair, skin, and nails, give you that ‘peaceful easy feeling’.
4 minutes (depending on how long it takes you to steam your milk)
- 1 Heaping Scoop CB Supplements Collagen Powder
- 1 tsp Matcha Powder
- 2 Cups Unsweetened Nut Milk of your choice (I used 45 Cal Coconut milk)
- 1 tsp Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 10 Drops Alternative Sweetener
- *Optional: a dash of Pink Himalayan Salt will boost ALL the flavors
- Steam Nut Milk via your prefered method.
- Combine Nut Milk, CB Supplements, Matcha, Coconut Oil, and Sweetner into a blender. (make sure you hold down the lid with a towel, the heat from the coffee may cause a loose blender cap or top to fly off)
- Pour into your favorite mug (add optional sprinkle of salt on top) and whooo ssaaaaa yourself.
- If you are on Keto or just needing extra healthy fats, you can us WHOLE or LIGHT coconut milk in place of the 45 Calorie version. NOTE: this will add A LOT of creamy goodness, but A LOT of calories and fat…so just think through it before you do it.
- You can also heat up the milk on the stove and stir in the other ingredients if you prefer. You’ll just need to whisk in the Collagen, let it sit, whisk and repeat until its fully incorporated.
- Matcha is such an interesting flavor. If you don’t like ‘super green’ tasting tea, I’d add a little extra alternative sweetener to cut the edge off.