Crunchy Collagen Tuna Salad (High Protein, High Aminos, Low-Carb, Low Sugar)
I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time getting enough fish in my diet. I know that Omega 3’s are important, I’ve heard of all the health benefits of eating it 3-4 times a week, but still, I’m afraid to purchase it fresh, for fear of it going bad or stinking up my kitchen.
That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t keep trying, BUT because necessity is often the mother of invention I decided to play around with a recipe around a shelf-stable canned fish. Traditionally Tuna Salad is made with high fatty-toxic-oil mayo and served between 2 GINORMO pieces of low-nutrient bread and if you are having a ‘melt’ you can add a couple hundred calories of cheese to that.
I wondered what it would look like to get the best parts about Tuna Salad (the creaminess, crunchiness, flavor) without hurting my body in the process.
Enter the Low Carb, Collagen-Infused Tuna Salad! Canned Tuna is easy to keep in the pantry for those days you just #canteven! And THIS version is loaded with Collagen (aids in strengthening hair, skin, nails, joints, gut, and tendons), crunchy veggies and minerals like Vitamins B-12 (aids in brain and nerve function), Magnesium (helps alleviate muscle cramps), Iron (plays a vital role in immune system function, treating anemia, boosting hemoglobin)! Each serving is only 6.8g of net carbs! And when you pair it with fiber in a veggie like zucchini or a cauliflower cracker and the 35g of protein from the tuna & collagen this salad should keep you full and satiated!! Yay for FEELING FULL!
And bonus: because tuna is a lighter protein, this is the perfect workday lunch that won’t leave you in a food coma!
4-6 servings (depending on if you are making an appetizer or meal)
Play around with this recipe!
Add avocado for some extra texture and healthy fats, or add hard boiled egg whites some protein or double down on the celery for some extra bulk without killing your daily macro count, or add slivered almonds or walnuts for some complexity of flavor and extra healthy fats! The options are endless. (i mean….thats not totally true. There is a limit…but PLAY with it!)
- 1 large can of tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 Heaping scoops CB Supplements Multi Collagen
- 1-1.5 cups Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery about 1 rib
- 2-3 tablespoons red onion minced
- 2-3 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4-8 FRESH Cherries, diced (dried have LOTS of sugar in them)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serve with zucchini slices, celery stalks, Cauliflower Crackers or maybe on top of Ezekiel or Cauliflower Flatbread
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix. Serve and enjoy!
- Drain the Tuna of water as much as possible to ensure it doesn’t turn to mush
- Also, consider purchasing something like an Albacore Tuna that tens to have larger chunks and keep its body better