What is collagen?
Collagen is a type of protein found in many parts of our bodies including hair, nails, skin, bones, muscles, tendons, our blood vessels and our digestive system. Collagen has many benefits to us, and unfortunately, as we age, our collagen production slows down dramatically. This results in wrinkles, aches and pains throughout our bodies, a lack of hair density, skin problems and even leaky gut. Below are 3 benefits of collagen supplementation that can help you give your body the tools it needs to continue to thrive!* Also, follow us on Instagram (@cbsupplements) for more!
1. Tendon & Ligament Recovery
Collagen has amazing recovery properties that give your bodies what is needs to repair the damage from an intense workout, or even just the daily grind of everyday life!** We work hard to grow our muscles stronger, but what are we doing to strengthen/repair those things we call tendons and ligaments that connect our muscles and bones? Well, unless you are routinely eating organ meats, drinking bone broth on the regular, or taking daily doses of a delicious collagen supplement that just so happenes to have a CB Supplements logo on it, you are doing very little for your tendons and ligaments. Collagen will absolutely not guarantee injury from not happening (we can’t make that claim!), but individual results seem to suggest that collagen supplementation throughout the day has powerful abilities to help our bodies rebuilt and recover faster. Again, individual results will vary and collagen is not the fountain of youth, but give it a try!
2. Improve Hair, Skin & Nails
Have you noticed that as we age, our skin becomes looser, we develop wrinkles, our skin starts to discolor, our hair may start falling out and our fingernails/toenails need to be cut less often? This is in part due to collagen production declining as we get older, in additional to other lifestyle factors contributing to the aging process. But there is good news! Increasing collagen consumption has been shown to help the cells in our skin, hair and nails to repair, thus contributing to smoother and firmer skin, healthier nails, and fuller hair.***
3. Fights Against Leaky Gut
To start, lets describe what exactly the term ‘leaky gut’ means... Leaky gut is what it sounds like - a condition where there are small holes in the small intestinal lining thus allowing toxins to pass directly into the bloodstream and result in inflammation in the form of knee pain, migraines, skin disorders, gluten sensitivity, colon cancer, you name it. Inflammation is the root of most disease and leaky gut is a main contributor, allowing bad things access to parts of your body where toxins should never be present.*
So how does collagen fight against leaky gut? Short answer is that collagen protein helps form connective tissue in the lining of the digestive system that effectively closes the holes in a leaky gut. Collagen has been shown to heal damaged cells in the intestinal track by infusing essential amino acids found in the profile of collagen protein to the stomach lining (see side of the label of CB Supplements Collagen Protein for full amino acid profile found in collagen protein).
*The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and our collagen product is not meant to treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**Everybody is different. Some individuals will need 1 serving of collagen per day to notice a difference in their recovery, while other may need quadruple the amount. There is no silver bullet.
***No, collagen does not cure baldness, if it did, we would be billionaires.
How to Use!
There are many different ways to get collagen into your system through blending, mixing and adding to soups, pastas and other baking dishes. Below are some easy ideas and make sure to follow us on Instagram (@cbsupplements) for more ideas!
- Add 1 scoop to every cup of coffee/tea you consume. You don’t taste anything. It is like cheating this is so easy. It dissolves after about 10 seconds of stirring.
- Add 1-2 scoops to your protein shake after you train. It mixes well with any other whey or casein collagen supplement and can be taken together.
- Add 1-2 scoops to hot water and mix in a scoop of cocoa powder - makes delicious hot chocolate! After you mix everything together, add in milk or half & half and enjoy a delicious (and healthy!) hot chocolate. This is a staple for me prior to bed, like every night...
- Add 1-3 scoops to any baking mix. We use the Simple Mills brand mix to make cupcakes, breads, cookies and pancakes and add scoops of collagen to the base mixture of all these dishes. Great way to get your kids consuming collagen! And yes, they are all gluten free and low in total carbohydrate content.
- Add 1 scoop to hot water and top off with Orange Juice, for the kids! A great way to help you kids get stronger, healthier and experience all the benefits of collagen!
- Add 1-2 scoops to any smoothie. Our collagen is unflavored and mixes well with any combination of fruits, vegetables and any other ingredients you may throw into your daily smoothie. Side note, this is another great way to get your kids eating collagen!
- Add 1-2 scoops (or like 5!) to the liquid you cook soup, pasta or rice. We cook our rice and pasta dishes in bone broth (Kettle & Fire is the best) and add like 3 scoops of collagen to the liquid. This make bland and somewhat unnutritional foods like rice and pasta into a powerhouse of nutrition, full of essential amino acids and collagen protein. As for soup, mix 1-2 scoops into every bowl you serve. The individuals eating the soup will thank you.