Ever sprain your wrist or ankle growing up? (I did...8 times!) Do you remember what happened when you did? That's right, your body responded by flooding the area with fluid to protect and heal it.
According to Dr. Cate Shanahan in her book, Food Rules, "In a healthy body...torn tissues trigger a cascade of inflammatory responses that increase blood flow and cause visible swelling…. inflammatory reactions are clearing out damaged parts to make room for repairs that will ultimately rebuild your ankle joint.”
Inflammation is our body’s way of trying to do us ‘a solid’ by protecting and repairing the injured spots.
It becomes toxic when it stays around for a while. Dr. Shanahan explains, “Chronic inflammation (from diet, stress, lack of sleep, lack of movement, chronic illness) blocks normal metabolic function...you can no longer eliminate fat cells or transform them into muscle” (aka your body isnt able to break food down into energy, so you feel sluggish, heavy, achy, and if the inflammation is in your gut you’ll feel nauseous, crampy, or hangry)
Wellll what can we do about it?! Eliminating pro-inflammatory foods for one. But that can be an overwhelming place to start. So instead, why not start with adding a couple scoops of CB Supplements Collagen to a balanced shake, protein oatmeal, soup, bone broth, or ground beef dish?
Collagen is in your tendons, organs, hair, skin, muscle fibers, your joints and cartilage, as well as, your intestinal walls and blood vessels!! Say whhhattttt?? I KNOW RIGHT?! It’s like...eerrryyyy where!
CB Supplements Collagen Powder contains glycine & proline which (according to lots of experts on the interwebs) aid in reducing joint pain and help to increase joint mobility because of their anti-inflammatory properties (kinda similar to ibuprofen). It also forms muscle by converting glucose into energy, and because muscle burns fat, collagen essentially helps to turn your body into a fat-burning machine. (are you like me, and saying ‘YES PLEASE’)
There are SO many more benefits we’ll explore later, but nobody’s gonna read too many more words than this at one sitting:-) So for now, here’s a quick starter recipe for Collagen Tom-kha-gai soup that will BLOW your MIND and make your body feel all kinds of GOOD!
Learn more about our Grass Fed Multi-Collagen Protein Powder.
Tom-Kha-Gai (coconut-chicken soup)
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 4 chicken breasts large (or 1 locally sourced rotisserie chicken)
- ⅓ Cup CB Supplements Collagen
- 14 oz coconut milk (full fat or 45 Calorie)
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 14 oz chicken BONE broth
- 28 oz water
- 1.5 TBSP naturally sourced fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai garlic chili paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 sprigs Thai basil fresh
- Cilantro to garnish
Shred Rotisserie Chicken or if cooking, slice chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
- Mix collagen with ¼ cup water in seperate bowl until dissolved. (you may need to stir, and let it sit a couple times, before it's fully dissolved)
- In an instapot, turn on ‘SAUTE’ mode, wait until display reads ‘HOT’, then combine collagen, coconut milk, bone broth, lemongrass water, fish sauce, chili sauce, coconut aminos, lime juice, ginger, and basil. Once all ingredients are in, press ‘CANCEL’ and then ‘SOUP’. Press timer for 8 minutes, close and lock. (be sure to have the vent set on ‘sealed’ to prevent steam from escaping) Once the timer goes off allow the steam to release naturally (about 10 minutes). (this is where #adulting comes in. ) Just remember, this was really hot and full of steam at one point. So use a towel to then twist the valve and once all steam is released, carefully open the lid.
- After either preparation, remove big basil leaves from the soup and garnish with cilantro.
See all our Collagen Recipes